Monday, April 19, 2010

Apparently, I can cycle kinda fast

So, today I cycled into town using a Garmin Forerunner 301 strapped to my wrist. It can measure various things, including one's path and speed along that path (and the number of calories burned from such an exertion). When I got to the campus, I downloaded the data onto my computer and found that I had -- on the Liberty between Stadium and Virginia -- managed to get up to 34.2 miles/hour. True, I didn't sustain it for that long, but for a little while, I was going the speed limit, along with the flow of traffic (and possibly freaking out the driver of the forest-green Volvo station wagon with whom I was keeping pace). I think that if the wind was behind me (or not there), then I could have easily gotten to 35 miles/hour, however, at that speed, even though I'm all the way on top gear, the pedal spin is so fast that the ability to pedal faster becomes more of a limiting factor than wind resistance.

No comments: