Thursday, June 28, 2007

Peeved with Mr. DeLay

So, I saw a link to this story, and I couldn't help myself. I have copied over the first paragraph of Mr. DeLay's story.
If ever there was a window through which to view the modern liberal soul, it is the issue of climate change. Notice, did you, that it's not global warming we debate anymore, because, after all, it still gets cold in the winter. For years, liberals warned those less enlightened of us about the dangers of global warming, without much evidence, so they just changed tactics -- no longer are people to be terrified of the Earth's temperature rising, but its falling as well!

It's the ultimate liberal "heads-I-win-tails-you-lose" argument. Summer hot? Climate change! Winter cold? Climate change!
Umm... So, there is a reply to Mr. DeLay's story here. I really hate to be petty, but apparently pugnaciously ignorant comments like Mr. DeLay's on something that I know a little about (and tangentially relates to my professional work) really (really) tempt me. Here goes a "lite" petty reply taking the form of Mr. DeLay's own comments. (I could probably be more harsh.)

If ever there was a window through which to view the modern conservative soul, it is the issue of conservative "compassionate" Christianity. Notice, did you, that it's not religion we debate anymore, because, after all, a vast majority of Americans believe in a god. For years, conservatives warned those less enlightened of us about the war on religion, without much evidence, so they just changed tactics -- no longer are people to be worried about allowing In God we Trust on currency and "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, but in going to hell because they aren't following the tenets of the conservative Christian.

It's the ultimate conservative "heads-I-win-tails-you-lose" argument.

As one last poke to those who think that the Grand Old Party should change its name to the Conservative Compassionate Christian Party, is it because of Mr. DeLay's many transgressions that much of Texas is becoming completely saturated with rain over the past week causing widespread flooding? Is this divine retribution? The hammer of God reminding the Texas hammer that he is merely a nail? (Okay, I'm done now.)

No comments: